Storm Damage Repair
Living in Michigan, we’re no strangers to extreme weather. From heavy snow and winter ice to powerful thunderstorms in the summer, our roofs take a beating throughout the year. If your roof has suffered damage from a recent storm, you need to take action quickly to avoid further issues with leaks or even collapse. Our team of expert roofing contractors at Moore & Sons is here to help you get your roof back in shape after storm damage.
Signs of Storm Damage
How can you tell if your roof has been damaged in a storm? Here are some clear signs to look out for:
- Missing, cracked, or broken shingles: Shingles that are missing or damaged allow water to seep through, damaging roof decking and interior walls/ceilings.
- Leaks: Water stains or drips inside your attic, ceilings, or walls likely indicate shingle damage or other breaches.
- Sagging areas: Localized dips or sags in your roof’s surface can indicate structural damage to the roof deck.
- Exposed nail heads: Storm winds can lift shingles and expose nail heads underneath. This allows moisture underneath.
- Shingle granules in gutters/on the ground: Storms may shake granules loose and leave shingles vulnerable to UV damage.
If you spot any storm damage signs, contact Moore & Sons Roofing immediately! Temporary repairs like tarps can only go so far. You need professional roof repairs to prevent further damage.
What to Do If Your Roof Had Suffered Storm Damage
Don’t wait to address storm damage – the sooner you start repairs, the better. Here are some steps to take if your roof is damaged in a Michigan storm:
- Tarping: For temporary protection from the elements, use tarps to cover damaged or exposed areas. Weight them down securely.
- Mitigate interior damage: Cover damaged ceilings/walls to avoid further water intrusion. Divert water from leaks safely away from belongings.
- Document damage: Take photos/video of the exterior and interior damage for insurance claims.
- Call your insurance company: Many storm damage repairs are covered wholly or partially by insurance, minus your deductible.
- Hire a licensed roofing contractor: A pro roofer can properly diagnose issues and oversee repairs. Beware of scams after big storms.
- Make temporary repairs: Your roofer may use plywood, rolled roofing, etc., to hold you over until full replacement materials arrive.
Replace damaged roof components: Generally, a full roof replacement isn’t needed. Your roofer can replace only damaged shingles, flashing, decking, etc.
Average Cost of Storm Damage in Michigan
What can Michigan homeowners expect to pay for storm damage repairs? Several factors impact the costs, including:
- Roof size/pitch/layers: Larger or steeply pitched roofs with multiple layers will cost more.
- Roofing material: Asphalt shingle repairs average $250-500 per damaged square (100 sq ft). Other materials like slate are more expensive.
- The extent of the roof damage: A few missing shingles cost less than entirely new roofing and decking.
- Accessibility: Multi-story homes make repairs more labor-intensive and costly.
- Additional services: Any needed structural repairs, gutters, skylights, chimney work, etc., add to the bill.
For a simple shingle roof repair, expect to pay $700-$6,000 on average in Michigan. However, severe damage to large or complex roofs could cost over $20,000. After thoroughly inspecting your roof, your roofer will determine the exact storm damage repair costs.
Our Storm Damage Repair Process
When you call Moore & Sons Roofing for storm damage assistance, here’s what you can expect:
- One of our roofing specialists will schedule a time to visit your home for a roof inspection. We aim to offer next-day visits for storm damage.
- We’ll thoroughly assess the exterior damage during the inspection and look for related issues inside your attic and other interior areas. We’ll take photos and provide a detailed summary.
- Next, we will scope out the necessary repairs and provide a written estimate for the cost. We’ll outline which parts of the job may be covered by your insurance provider.
- Once approved, we’ll order all necessary replacement materials customized for your roof and start repairs as soon as possible.
- We take care to protect your home’s exterior and interiors as we complete the job. We’ll ensure any exposed areas are securely covered overnight.
- Finally, we’ll clean up the job site, haul away all debris, and invite you to complete a final walkthrough. We want you to be completely satisfied!
We strive to make the storm damage repair process as smooth and hassle-free as possible for our customers. Contact us today to discuss your roof damage.
COnTACT US TODAY
Don’t let a damaged roof go unrepaired – lingering issues will only worsen, and moisture inside your home can spur mold growth and rot. Our team of roofing specialists has years of storm damage repair expertise. We offer fast assistance and accurate estimates. Contact us today to learn more about repairing storm damage on your Michigan roof!