When your Grand Rapids-area home requires complete roof replacement, you can view the project as a chore or an opportunity. Do you need a new roof? Great! Make your new roof the best roof your budget can afford! For example, upgrade the basic ice and water shield to Owens Corning WeatherLock® Flex Self-Sealing Ice & Water Barrier.
Ice and Water Shield
Ice and water shield is a secondary barrier beneath most finished roofing products; it provides added protection against water infiltration, mold, mildew, and rot.
All ice and water shields are self-adhesive, slightly spongy products made from polymers and modified asphalt. Almost all seal tightly around nails and staples to prevent water infiltration. Some ice and water shields, however, perform better than others.
Owens Corning WeatherLock® Mat Self-Sealing Waterproofing Barrier
Typically, your local residential roofer will recommend a standard product like Owens Corning’s WeatherLock® Mat Self-Sealing Waterproofing Barrier. This is an entirely adequate product.
It is lightweight, so it adds little static load to your roof. It provides protection against water damage from shingle blow-offs, wind-driven rain, and ice damming.
Owens Corning WeatherLock® Flex Flexible Self-Sealing Ice & Water Barrier
A more modern alternative to the basic ice and water shield is Owens Corning’s WeatherLock® Flex Flexible Self-Sealing Ice & Water Barrier. This 21st-century protection has superior pliability. It easily forms around eaves, rakes, valleys, vents, chimneys, and skylights. It prevents water infiltration resulting from freeze and thaw cycles, wind-driven rains, and normal water flow.
Among its many benefits:
- High performance—The product’s flexible, pliable poly surface and modified asphalt combine to adhere around irregular shapes, inside corners, and at sharp angles, and it can be installed even in 40ºF weather
- Added protection—WeatherLock® Flex acts as a waterproof barrier in the most vulnerable sections of the roof—valleys and other roof penetrations—and can be applied to your entire roof deck
- Aggressively self-adhesive—Once down, it stays put and goes to work immediately to shed water
- Slip-resistant surface—Safer for roofers to install on all steep-slope roofs
- Seals tightly around nails and staples—WeatherLock® Flex uses an optimal mix of polymers and asphalt to provide the tightest possible seal, preventing water infiltration
Moore and Sons Roofing in Grand Rapids is eager to help you, the Michigan homeowner, protect your home. Contact us today to learn how upgraded ice and water shield and our expertise can provide you with a flawless roof and a great roofing experience.